It appears that doing the following changes will mean you can not use the online version of the market to push apps to your phone!
The following hack DOES NOT unlock paid apps.
The following instructions are for phones which apps don't show up in the market due to.
1) No flash or auto-focus on camera
2) Apps are protected and do not show up on unrecognized phones
3) Screen size is too small (mostly for QVGA users)
(If your missing apps due to country restrictions use market enabler)
Thanks go to Atl4ntis for the patched Vending.apk
This has been tested for android 2.2.1 and 2.3.4 on IDEOS U1850. It should work for any phone I believe, however I don't have anything else to test this on.
WARNING: I am not responsible if anything happens to your phone. Whilst the procedure should be safe, always do a backup before editing system files.
You will need a file explorer with root access, these instructions assume you are using root explorer (this could also be done through ADB)
Dowload the Market fix files.zip and extract vending.apk and android.hardware.camera.flash-autofocus.xml onto your sd-card
1. Go to manage applications, all tab.
2. Go to market, clear cache, data and force stop
3. Go to Google Services framework, clear data and force stop
4. Copy vending.apk over file in \system\app\ (make sure you mount r/w if it's not letting you copy)
5. Longpress vending.apk and change permissions to be rw-r--r-- (read + write for owner, just read for group and user)
6. Copy android.hardware.camera.flash-autofocus.xml to \System\etc\permissions\ (you don't need to copy this if it already exists in that folder)
7. If copied change permissions to be rw-r--r-- (read + write for owner, just read for group and user)
8. Edit the following build.prop lines to be the following (Some of these lines may already be correct)
ro.build.description=passion-user 2.2.1 FRG83 60505 release-keys
ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
(if you edit the build.prop on the pc then copy it back over, please don't forget to fix permissions to be rw-r--r--)
9. Reboot phone, and give it a bit of extra time to startup before opening the market.
10. Open market, agree to TOS.
11. Go to manage applications, all tab.
12. Go to market, clear cache and force stop (DO NOT CLEAR DATA)
13. Go to Google Services framework, clear data and force stop
14. Open market, and you should get an error. (This is good)
15. Restart phone again.
And tad-ah, you should be able to access pretty much anything.
Please let me know if this works or doesn't work for you, what phone you are using, what ROM and what app you can't access (if that's the problem).
Market Fix Files.zip